Wednesday 28 March 2012

Poetry in the Classroom, Why Bother?




I found this interesting video that appeals to me on the YouTube. I've been inspired to be more serious with the teaching of Literature in my classroom. There's so much the pupils can do with poetry. Poetry does not have to be difficult after all!!! It can be fun and interesting. Although this video shows how a primary school teacher may carry out poetry in the classroom, I also find that its useful for the Secondary classroom. Writing a poetry based on the book they have read is a great way to produce original writing of the pupils. Writing poetry in groups can lead to cooperative learning as well. However, if the teacher could not make poetry reading a positive experience for the pupils, it would kill their interest to read, write or even enjoy poetry so it is important for the teachers to equip themselves with good methods in order to deal with poetry type text in their class.

No comments:

Post a Comment